We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
This easy dish features cod topped with a homemade garlic-herb mixture! Perfect for busy weeknights!
It also has less than 1 carb making it perfect for anyone on a keto or low-carb diet.
Storytime! My mom hates all fish except tilapia.
Don’t ask me why.
Growing up I rarely had fish, and when I did have fish, it was weird fish sticks at school or tilapia. For years I didn’t even know there were other types of fish that people ate.
I’m dead serious.
When I started living with my dad in high school, he introduced me to tons of different food like tofu, salmon… and cod!
Cod became one of my favorites because of it’s mild flavor and how easy it was to cook!
We usually had it with some herb mixture, much like this recipe I’m going to share with you!
Here’s what you’re going to need for this recipe:
- unsalted butter
- sea salt
- olive oil
- cod fillets (obviously!)
- OPTIONAL: salt and pepper
If you don’t keep fresh herbs on hand (I usually don’t), feel free to use the dried equivalent, just make sure you find out how much of the dried herb you need to equal the fresh kind.
The process is actually super easy, you’ll use the first part of the ingredients to make the garlic butter, and you’ll need to chill your garlic butter for 15-20 minutes (just until it gets firm).
Then you just cook your fillets and then add the garlic butter mixture!
- 6 T. unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ t. garlic, finely minced
- 1 t. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 t. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 t. fresh basil, finely chopped
- ¼ t. sea salt
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 6 4-oz. Atlantic cod fillets
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Prepare the garlic-herb butter by combining all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Stir until the garlic, herbs, and salt are evenly distributed throughout the softened butter.
- Transfer the butter mixture to the center of a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a log. Wrap tightly and place inside the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes to become firm.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pat cod filets dry with a paper towel and season both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Add filets to hot skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until they become golden brown. Reduce heat to medium and carefully flip each fillet. Top each filet with an equal amount of herb butter and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes. While cooking, spoon the herb butter back over the filets as it melts.
- Remove from heat and transfer fillets to individual serving plates. Drizzle with melted herb butter and garnish with some fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
- Serve immediately with some oven-roasted asparagus tossed with remaining herb butter from skillet or your choice of sides. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 237mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 26g
Nutritional information provided for entertainment purposes only and is not to be construed as medical advice.
How to Customize This Recipe
Here are 5 awesome tweaks you can make to this recipe:
- After everything has been cooked, you can add a dash of lemon for a nice citrusy flavor. Yum!
- If you aren’t into cooking your fish in a skillet, you could also bake it in the oven! Then top with some of the garlic butter in the middle of the baking process.
- Not a fan of cod? You could try the garlic butter mixture on salmon or tilapia!
- Don’t like fish at all?! (Why are you here?!) But don’t worry, this mixture works on steak, and chicken too!
- If you aren’t feeling meat at all, you can also use this mixture on some baked or fried tofu!
Other Cod Recipes:
If you love cod and you’re looking for other recipes, check out these two delicious alternatives from other websites: