We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Looking for something low carb to make for Taco Tuesday?
This is the recipe for you!
This easy recipe puts a keto-friendly (4 net carbs!) spin on an old favorite! Also, this recipe only takes 30 minutes total (prep and cook time) and doesn’t require any crazy ingredients, which makes it the perfect weeknight meal!
Eating healthy can be pretty difficult, right? It can be hard to find food that fits whatever way of eating you’re trying, and sometimes it can feel like you’re depriving yourself.
Sometimes you just want some comfort food, right?
This recipe combines healthy + comfort!
Sorry, I’m just super excited about this recipe. Low carb tacos… What could be better?
Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
- colby cheese
- ground beed
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- smoked paprika
- sea salt
- black pepper
- lime juice
- OPTIONAL: sour cream
**You’ll also need a set of 6 ramekins or a muffin tin to form the taco “cup” shape!
The first thing you’ll be doing is creating the “cups” out of cheese and banking them in the oven.
While those cook, you can cook the meat on the stove and then season.
While the meat is cooking you can create the salsa.
And add those three things together (add the meat to the taco cups and top with the salsa) – then you’re done!
- 2 c. Colby Jack cheese, finely shredded, divided
- 1 lb. ground beef (80% lean)
- ¼ c. water
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1 t. smoked paprika
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- 1 T. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Optional, to serve:
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Divide 1½ cups of the shredded cheese into 6 piles (approximately 1/4 cup each) on the prepared baking sheet and spread each pile into a thin circular layer. Place baking sheets in the pre-heated oven until the cheese is melted and slightly browned around the edges, around 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes, then remove the cheese and press into 3” ramekins or a muffin tin to form cups. Let cool for several minutes before gently removing the cheese cups from the form.
Note: If using ramekins, the taco
cups can remain in the container for extra support when serving.
- In the meantime, add the ground beef to a large skillet over medium heat and cook until the beef is browned and cooked through, approximately 6-8 minutes. Carefully drain excess grease from skillet and return to cooktop.
- Add water and season with chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until warmed through.
- While the beef is cooking, combine the avocado, tomato, lime juice, and fresh cilantro in a medium bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and gently stir to combine.
- To serve, fill the taco cheese cups with beef, avocado salsa, and remaining shredded cheese. Top with a dollop of sour cream, if using, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 467Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 463mgCarbohydrates: 7gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 32g
Nutritional information provided for entertainment purposes only and is not to be construed as medical advice.
Customize This Recipe
There are a few ways you can go about customizing this recipe.
The first thing you can do is ditch the salsa (if you don’t like it), they can just be tacos with beef and cheese, and you could add in lettuce or another type of salsa.
The next thing you can do is change the meat. Try shrimp or chicken tacos!
Other Keto Taco Recipes:
If you’re looking for other low carb and keto-friendly keto recipes check these out: